National Food and Veterinary Risk Assessment Institute (thereafter – Institute) was established on the 1st of July 2008 on the basis of reorganization of the National Veterinary Laboratory and Lithuanian State Inspection on Veterinary Preparations. Institute is under State Food and Veterinary Service (SFVS). Within its remit it ensures effective implementation of the state policy in the protection of consumers interests in the areas of food safety and veterinary.
Institute was established in order to separate risk assessment from risk management and thus to strengthen protection of the consumer interests and implementation of the European Community requirements in the fields of food safety and veterinary. Risk assessment is neither influenced by any political nor both economical and social interests. By carrying out risk assessment based on the research and scientific knowledge, Institute identifies risks and contributes to reducing risks for food and feed safety, animal health and animal welfare, and environment. The autonomy of the Institute is based on the scientific integrity of the assessment and findings.
Vision – competent food and veterinary risk assessment institution.
Mission – contribute scientific information, scientific and technical support in pursuance of state policy in the areas of food safety and veterinary and communicate on risks.
1. Focus on providing scientific and technical advice associated with food safety issues from field to table:
- Provide scientific opinion and technical advice in preparing drafts of legal acts
- Participate in carrying out risk assessment and coordinate work load of experts and keep close contacts with risk assessment institutions in the field of risk assessment
- Participate in scientific committees and expert working groups
2. Provide evaluation of materials, products and claims:
- Participate in monitoring and control programs of risks and in management of crisis situations
- Carry out risk assessment of biological, chemical and other risks and claims
- Provide scientific advice in authorization of materials and products
3. Organize the collection, dissemination and analysis of scientific information:
- Develop cooperation with competent authorities, scientific and education institutions in the field of information exchange, analysis and dissemination
- Develop cooperation with European Food Safety Authority
- Strengthen cooperation with European Medicines Agency
- Participate in International programs and scientific projects
4. Prepare quality management manual for risk assessment and risk assessment guidelines:
- Prepare guidelines for risk assessment in the fields of food and feed safety, animal health and animal welfare
- Harmonize risk assessment guidelines
- Participate in preparation of international risk assessment guidelines
5. Focus on effective risk communication though close cooperation with risk assessment institutions, risk managers, international partners, stakeholders and consumers:
- Increase coherence in risk communication though close cooperation with risk assessment institutions, risk managers, stakeholders and international partners
- Strengthen trust of stakeholders and consumers in Institute work in the field of risk assessment
- Investigate consumers’ needs and strengthen their perception in the area of risk assessment
6. Assure effectiveness of risk assessment work at the Institute:
- Optimize functional structure of the Institute during implementation of strategic tasks in the field of risk assessment
- Optimize personnel, financial and technical resources
- Provide appropriate working environment for the personnel and experts in pursuit of professional perfection.
Analyzing scientific information in the fields of food and veterinary and data on official food and veterinary control, the Institute carries out:
- risk assessment of contaminants in food and undesirable substances in feed,
- microbiological risk assessment of food and feed,
- risk assessment of food additives and novel food,
- risk assessment of genetically modified organisms and their products,
- risk assessment of feed additives,
- assessment of impact to food and feed safety of production technologies,
- assessment of impact of animal housing systems and transportation to their health and welfare,
- epidemiological analysis of infectious animal disease and zoonoses and zoonotic agents,
- assessment of quality, safety and efficacy of veterinary medicinal products and biocides for veterinary use.
Last update: 2016-07-31 05:30:06